Photodebut is a photographic collective that formed in 2002 in order to connect, promote and support emerging photographers. Its strong network and critical thinking lead to many exciting events, exhibitions, projects and comissions.
After seven years of activities, Photodebut's members are all established within the photographic industry and the collective's goals have been sucessfully met.
With a big bang, the launch of a critical book publication and loads of events photodebut says THANK YOU to all its collaborators and invites to a week of events at HOST gallery to celebrate a glorious finale.
The book: Photodebut - a case study will be launched on Thursday, June 10th! For a list of full events during the week, please see below.
Monday 7 June, 3-6pm
A photographic tea time with plenty of cake and Nilus Izadi's magical camera obscura installation which uses the gallery space as photographic device. Visitors/ photographers are welcome to donate a small photograph of their choice no larger than 6x9'' to the photodebut group exhibition: WHY I LOVE PHOTOGRAPHY which will be installed impromptu as and when the photographs are being delivered.
Tuesday 8 June, 10am-2pm
The exhibition WHY I LOVE PHOTOGRAPHY is open. Prints are for sale straight from the wall for £10 until Thursday night's book launch party.
Wednesday 9 June, 4-6pm
Meet the collectives: photodebut invited a handful of exciting and most varied photographic collectives for an informative debate. This event will be chaired by Yasmina Reggad, Director and Curator of Photo-Festivals / Foto-Festivals.
Thursday 10 June, 2pm
Photodebut talks: members and their collaborators talk about various aspects of the photographic industry (this event is mainly for emerging photographers, however anyone is invited). Speakers will include (order of talks tbc):
- Afshin Dehkordi: fine art and editorial photography - pitfalls and perils, benefits and bonuses.
- Alys Tomlinson: making a living as a photographer - art vs commerce
- Gael Roussel: from photolover to creative director - an adventurous journey through commercial photography
- Helen James: reflecting on the photographic landscape - how photography has changed over the last decade as emerging photographers have found innovative ways to push their visuals into view beyond the photographic art establishment.
- Jan von Holleben: the playful photographer - a very serious and essential business
- Michelle Sank: about her beginnings in photography and the career that came with it
Thursday 10 June, 7pm
Photodebut, a case study: big book launch, free bar and party with all photodebut members and their friends, clients and collaborators. The luxurious-linen-bound-hardcover-book will be for sale for £10.
All events are free of charge / donations are warmly welcomed to cover costs.